Open letter to the Premier of Queensland to save koalas
Hon Annastacia Palaszczuk MP
PROPOSED ‘SHORELINE’ DEVELOPMENT CATASTROPHIC FOR REDLANDS’ VULNERABLE KOALAS
Please – Save our koalas from extinction.
Please – Call in and refuse the ‘Shoreline’ Development Application to Redland City Council – Redland Bay MCU013287.
Please – As a matter of urgency, do this now.
THE KOALA FACTS
- The Redlands koala population, estimated in 1999 to be 6,200 animals, has plummeted by approximately 75% (in 15 years).
- The koala was recently listed by your government as ‘vulnerable’ in Queensland with South East Qld suffering the greatest loss of koala numbers.
- Habitat loss is the greatest threat to the koala’s survival followed by disease, vehicle strikes and domestic dog attacks.
‘SHORELINE’ DEVELOPMENT FACTS
- With 4,000 dwellings over 310 hectares, more than 700 koala food trees will be destroyed
- At least 6,000 more vehicles travelling through the Koala Coast region with no koala friendly road crossing infrastructure beyond the development site
- An estimated 2,000 additional domestic dogs.
THE PLANNING FACTS
1. The South East Queensland Regional Plan 2009-2031 defines the land use intent of the ‘Shoreline’ development area as Regional Landscape and Rural Production – not residential.
2. The Redlands 2030 Community Plan (published 2010) clearly seeks protection of koalas and limits to population growth.
3. The Redland City Land Supply Review (2014) found that Redlands has enough land to accommodate the projected population growth for the next 20 years.
4. The results of the Redlands Community Survey Report 2005 showed:
- 82% of residents were not prepared to accept a decline in koala numbers in order to accommodate more people.
- 88% did not agree that the Redland’s population should be allowed to increase by an estimated 60,000.
- 68% preferred a limit on population growth.
The proposed ‘Shoreline’ development contradicts State and community planning intents and will be catastrophic for Redlands’ koala population.
PREMIER PALASZCZUK, PLEASE – SAVE OUR KOALAS: CALL IN AND REFUSE THE SHORELINE APPLICATION
If you are concerned about the future of koalas in Redland City, take time to send this letter directly to the Queensland Premier. Whether you are a resident of Redland City or not…Koalas belong to all humanity…everyone has the right to tell the Queensland Premier that she has an obligation to protect the koalas of Redlands in the face if incremental decisions by Redland City Council that will kill off koalas in the co-called Koala Coast.
What can you do?
At the top of this page there is an “email” button, yes the little envelop at the top right hand side of this post.
1. Click on the email button and your email will open with the following text already in place:
I wanted to share this post with you.
2. ADD after the automatic message
Please heed the contents of this web post.
Your Christian name Your Surname
Your postal address (not essential)
Note you could add any specific and personal comments….. here
3. ADD the Premiers email address by copy and paste the address below into the “TO” box of your email:
4. Ask your friends and relatives to help save koalas by asking the Premier to heed our concerns. Share this post with anyone who cares about koalas.