G.J. Walter Park has been enjoyed by many generations of Cleveland residents and visitors. Its features include a cricket oval established in 1911, a fine stand of Norfolk Pine trees possibly planted in the 1930s and a large dog off-leash area with beach access.
A public reserve was gazetted on 13 March 1889, making this one of the first official parks in Queensland. At some time in the 20th Century, the park was named after George John (G.J.) Walter, a long serving Chairman of the Cleveland Shire.
On Sunday 17 March 2014 residents gathered to celebrate the Park’s 125th anniversary. Annette Marsson, great granddaughter of G.J.Walter, made a speech about the history of the park and her family. Another feature of the 125th anniversary celebrations was a marching display by the Redland Ladies Drum Corps.
Organiser of the 125th anniversary event, Mr Garry Hill, said to the Bayside Bulletin that the celebration was especially important as the park was threatened by a state government scheme which would allow buildings to be built on parts of the park:
“People are still being deliberately misled and the Priority Development Scheme is really about council shamefully handing over GJ Walter Park, a public park, to developers,””
G.J. Walter Park is currently classified as being of local heritage significance in the Redland City Council’s planning scheme. Given the Park’s age and its significance to the Redlands community, there is a strong case for the Park to be added to the Queensland Heritage Register. The historic Fernleigh homestead adjacent to the Park is already included in the Queensland Heritage Register.